Happy Birthday Mom, sorry that it sucked

I understand.
Dad. I understand.
I understand that things don’t go as planned.
I also understand that mom; you are the best mother on the face of this planet.
And mom; you should be praised for at least two days of the year if not every day of every year.
No one should say otherwise.

Dad.
Dad. Look at me.
I have had a terrible life of not having you in it.
And I need you now.
Mom needs you now and I understand.
And I hear you constantly say that you ‘tried’ and you ‘tried’, but you just need to try a little harder.
Go ahead and forget what I have just said.
Say that, “it won’t matter much longer because I’ll be gone before you know it.”
Huh.
Say to me, “Shorty, don’t worry”
But every day I worry of waking up to this life that I am living in.

By the end we just act normal, behaving like nothing happened.
Lets just finish the birthday cake and continue on with our lives.
Well.
Sorry but I just can’t do this.
Dad. I can’t do this.
Dad. I can’t deal with this and mom is crying several of the many days of her life.

And I; I am just waiting for you to say, “it won’t matter much longer” because one day you’ll be gone, and I will not have a thought cross my mind of feeling sad for you.

4 comments:

  1. this is so sad and so beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me cry. Thanks....I guess...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom's birthday sucked too, but we both clearly know that isn't what this is about.

    ReplyDelete