Home

A chandelier at the heart of my life.
The basement walls are bare & cold.
Light bleeds through the window wells & echos throughout the rooms.
Thirty feet down a concrete room is covered in paint & chalk.
Twenty two years of memories & stains.
I forgot about when I spray painted on the front porch until my mom pulled off the door step matt to see the mess.
Two stories up the floor boards are awake at night while I thought about life.
That started when I was too young to remember how to spell my full name.
I still think about my childhood memories in this house.
Mostly fights over the TV remote & magic cards.
Memories of alpine days & summer fireworks.
Then someone lit my backyard on fire & now fireworks is a no go in the neighborhood.
I climbed on my roof to get away from school & homework.
But mostly I was curious to see what was in the woods & today all I saw was dead trees & lost toys.
I thought that there were dinosaur bones under the leaves at the front of my house but they were just rocks.
I still believe I can reach the stars when I am on the roof top & that cougars rome around my house at night.
Up the road a river roared like Niagara Falls in the summer of 2013.
This was after the big fire show of our mountains.
I thought my house was gone but it was just hiding in the smoke.
I climbed the aspen tree to see if I could reach the top.
But I always got too afraid when looking down.
I was afraid of the dark because I thought something evil lived in shadows of my bedroom.
I feared my dad because he was a stranger to me, even to this day I imagine him to be a trucker at a gas station stop.
He hasn't left yet but it is nice to have company.
Born to be the youngest in the family I watched as my sibling left the comforts of home.
The house seemed to morn for the voices that once shouted throughout the halls.
I am left to live in an empty house hearing the echos of the past.
I take the time now to think about life within this house.
Remembering the sunsets & shooting stars through my bedroom window.

1 comment:

  1. I feared my dad because he was a stranger to me, even to this day I imagine him to be a trucker at a gas station stop."

    "Hey, He fixed my unicycle"

    ReplyDelete